Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

SyntaxEdit replace issue and 'Modified' state

Can SyntaxEdit be changed so that if a user performs a 'replace' that doesn't actually change anything, then the 'Modified' state is not set to true?

For example, if I replace 'app' with 'app' then the modified state seems to change.... even though there was no real change to the document (it's still exactly the same document).

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • It may be easy to implement, but, actually, I don't like this idea. From my viewpoint this is not intuitive for users. Delphi's code editor, for example, marks the file as modified in such cases.
  • edited July 2021 Posts: 177Vote Up0Vote Down
    I had a customer bring up this issue and it caused problems/issues for what he was doing... it caused my editor to want to re-save files that didn't need to be saved, causing unnecessary prompting, saving, and resetting of file time stamps.... when nothing had really changed.

Plus, it is logically correct. A document that has not changed should not be considered modified.

Delphi's code editor may just be taking the "lazy" approach and simply ignoring the case when a replace causes nothing to actually change.

So I think it makes sense to implement this easy change.
  • Done. Next service release will be published soon.
  • Great, thank you!