Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

SyntaxEdit Hindi character issue

A customer reported this issue to me with SyntaxEdit handling Hindi characters "funny".

Please see the attached example document. Load as UTF-8 in SyntaxEdit and then pass the cursor through the Hindi (I think) characters using the cursor keys to see the "funny stuff".

Can you provide a fix? Thanks.

NOTE: System is not letting me upload the file. It gets stuck on "Uploading...", so please get file here: https://www.htmlvalidator.com/test/HindiTest.html
Tagged:

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Hi,

I can confirm the issue. Its is not so simple to fix, if possible at all. I'll look.

Eugene.
  • OK, thanks for taking a look. I hope it can be fixed.
  • Hi,

The issue happens because thouse Unicode characters has different width in pixels when measured separately (character by character) and when measured as a whole text string. This, unfortunately, can't be fixed; its not possible to implement fully correct Unicode support in our code editor.
    Btw, Delphi code editor has same issues; not exactly same behavior, but also, very strange.

Eugene,
    LMD Innovative.
  • edited February 2016 Posts: 177Vote Up0Vote Down
    OK, thanks. I'll inform the customer.

Oh, do you know if changing to a certain font might fix this?
  • Oh, do you know if changing to a certain font might fix this?

I think - no. Its a complex case of Unicode, when, for example, several characters (codepoints) can be drawn as a single letter; or the character shape (and width) can depend of surrounding characters, ect.